Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fish Moilee (Fried Fish in Coconut Milk)!

Hello my dearies!!!Let me start of by wishing you all a very Happy and Holy Easter! i hope you guys had a great time with your families, going to church and eating all that scrumptious food. Well, what did I do? Nothing much actually, just went to church and moped around at home :(. Oh, i did do something else too...tried to make a lamb stew...and it got burnt..he he! Well, mistakes happen right? At least, that's my excuse lolz! Easter was pretty quiet since i was alone in Canada without A...so that was sad. But I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder right? So, on that positive note, let's move on to a new recipe.

This particular recipe has to be every keralite's dream...i mean,seriously, I absolutely love this dish! The best part is, you could eat it with anything....appam,bread,chapatis,parottas, even rice (though I've not tried it with that!). It's the very first time I have ever made this dish, and after the lamb fiasco, i was so happy with the results (*pat on my back*). I tried this with salmon fillets, and the result was really good, trust me. Bear in mind, for this dish, I always recommend using the freshest fish you have. Do not use fish that's been frozen for a couple of days coz it absolutely kills the taste. So, enough with the speech already, onwards with the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
  • 500 gms salmon fillets (or any oily fish like black trout, king fish- fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids is the best)
  • 1 medium sized onion finely sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves finely sliced
  • 1 small piece of ginger, finely sliced
  • 4 green chillies finely chopped
  • 2 small tomatoes or 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
  • 3 teaspoons garam masala (all spice) powder
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 cup thin coconut milk (1 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk powder + 1 cup boiling hot water)
  • 1 cup thick coconut milk (4 tablespoons coconut milk powder + 1 cup boiling hot water)
  • Curry leaves- As many as you want
  • Salt to taste
To fry fish
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
  • salt to taste

METHOD
  • Marinate fish with the ingredients under "to fry fish" and leave aside for 10 minutes.
  • In a saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and lightly fry the fish. The fish should not be dark brown, just a very light golden brown.
  • At the same time, take a saucepan and add 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
  • Once the oil is hot, add onions and salt, and saute.
  • To this, add garlic cloves and chillies.
  • Once this emits a nice aroma, add the ginger.
  • Now, add turmeric powder, garam masala and black pepper powder.
  • Once the powders are cooked, add the tomatoes and saute. Bear in mind, the tomatoes need not be completely mashed, just soft and half mashed.
  • Now add the thin coconut milk and allow it to cook for 5-7 minutes or till the coconut milk thickens.
  • Now add the lightly fried fish and close the lid. Cook for about 7 minutes on a low to medium flame. The fish should not be too hard, else it tastes like rubber.
  • Check salt levels. Finally lower the flame completely and add the thick coconut milk.
  • Once this milk is added, the curry should not boil.
  • Switch of the flame. Add curry leaves and a tablespoon of oil.
Tada, scrumptious fish moilee is ready!

Here's a pic for you...


So there we are....do try this out and let me know what you think. Trust me, this curry is truly scrumptious, you wont have any to keep in the fridge...:P. Aleast I didn't!

Take care you guys. Watch this space tomorrow...i have some really nice recipes for you'll. Trust me, you'll love them. God bless!

2 comments:

  1. one of my favourites :) thanks for dropping by and leaving a super useful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nags (if u dont mind me calling u that..:) )...thanks for being the first visitor, apart from family and friends for dropping by and leaving a comment. do check out the blog regularly for more updates!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!