Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Moru kachiyathu (buttermilk)!

Boy, I'm on a roll today!! My third recipe for the day...This one's a typical kerala dish, also called comfort food, he he. This combined with the rice and chicken fry recipe below, and my day is made! Moru kachiyathu is a typical dish that you would find almost everyday at all Keralite households. I'm sure most of you'll know how to make this, but many a times, people make this using coconut. This can be a bit tedious especially when you have to grind the coconut. If you're short on time and as lazy as I am, this one's for you. It does not use coconut, yet you manage to get the perfect moru kachiyathu. so, on to the recipe...

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 cups yogurt (not too sour and at room temperature)
  • 5 small onions (shallots) crushed
  • Small piece of ginger crushed
  • 2 green chillies, slit through the centre
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 dried red chillies
  • Curry leaves, as many as you like
  • Salt to taste
METHOD
  • Heat oil in a saucepan.
  • To this add mustard seeds.
  • Once they splutter, add fenugreek seeds. Bear in mind to reduce the heat, since fenugreek gets burnt easily leaving a bitter taste.
  • Add a few curry leaves (5-6).
  • Add dried red chillies.
  • Now add the onions and ginger followed by the green chillies.
  • Once they emit a nice aroma, add the turmeric powder.
  • Now reduce the flame to a complete low and add the yogurt and salt.
  • Bear in mind that yogurt should not boil since it will curdle. Once you add the yogurt, keep stirring it quickly till steam comes through your spatula or from the sauce pan. This should take approx 5-7 minutes on a really low flame.
  • Switch off the flame, pour a tablespoon of oil over this and garnish with curry leaves.
Tasty moru kachiyathu is ready! I took snaps after transferring it to the bowl, so they're not very clear. Yeah, I know, I'm a dummy..sorry about that :(. Hope you like it though...
Another one for you....


Sorry that the pics are not clearer than this, I hope you like them though...

Once again, hope you guys have a great weekend and an even better week ahead! God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!