Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Apple Payasam~Apple Kheer!

I have a really bad habit...I keep buying a whole bunch of fruits, and then leave them for quite some time, without quite eating them...I know, food wastage...not proud of myself. So, as usual, I come home yesterday, and lo and behold, what do I find, but a whole bunch of apples that were just beginning to brown..not a pretty sight!



We had to visit a friend yesterday who was not too well, and coupled with the fact that it is my father in law's birthday, I thought, why waste a whole bunch of apples, why not convert it into a yummy dessert :) Imagine something you can make in 15 minutes flat..now wouldn't that be simply awesome :)


So, there we are...a birthday dedication and a get well soon wish! Oh, but I so cannot forget a dear friend of mine who had requested payasam recipes from  me...so, Danica, Pappa and Vinod, this dessert is especially for all of you :D

INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)

  • 4 apples, grated without the skin 
  • Full cream milk- 2 cups
  • Condensed Milk- 3 tablespoons
  • White granulated sugar- 5 tablespoons (depending on how sweet the apples are, you can increase or reduce the quantity)
  • Vanilla essence- 1 teaspoon (optional, but I added this for the flavor)
  • Ghee/Butter- 4 tablespoons (I used ghee)
  • Nuts/Raisins/Almonds- optional, as you like

METHOD
  • In a pan, boil milk until it reduces to half the quantity. This should take about 10 minutes.
  • While the milk is boiling, separately saute the nuts and raisins in 2 tablespoons ghee till they turn golden brown (a few seconds). I did not have raisins and almonds, so didn't use any. 
  • In the same pan, remove the nuts and raisins and saute the grated apples in another 2 tablespoons ghee and the sugar for about 3-4 minutes, till the sugar is caramelized and the apples turn a lovely golden brown. Ensure they do not get burnt.
  • To this add the boiled milk and the condensed milk. 
  • Stir for another 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
  • Once cooled down, keep this refrigerated to thicken.
Tada, yummy payasam is ready!!!



Notes

It doesn't matter what color apples you use, coz you will be removing the skin anyways. I used green
Once the milk is added, it looks like your payasam is curdling, but don't worry, that adds more flavor to the payasam.
The payasam once made seemed watery, but once kept in the fridge, it thickened considerably.
This is eaten best when cold, but, to each his own!


Happy birthday Pappa once again, get well soon Vinod, and Danica darling and everyone else out there, do try this out and let me know how it turns out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!